Contact and Meet Your Top Choices
1. Prepare a List of Questions.
Before meeting with your top attorney candidates, prepare a number of detailed questions that will give you the answers you need to choose the best attorney for you. Use the following questions, and any others you feel are appropriate, when you sit down for an initial consultation:
- Are you the only attorney that would be working on my case? If not, who else will be working with you?
- What is your fee structure? Will you take my case on a contingent fee basis? If so, what is your percentage? If not, what is your hourly rate?
- How will you keep me informed of my case’s progress?
- How often do you go to trial in similar cases?
2. Know the Facts of Your Case and Have as Much Documentation as Possible.
Before meeting with an injury attorney for an initial consultation, write down and know as many facts about your case as possible. One thing an attorney will do in an initial consultation is ask you about your case so he or she can gauge its likelihood of success. Be as detailed as possible and do not leave out facts you may consider minor. Having documentation relating to your case is also extremely helpful. When you go in to have an initial consultation, the attorney may want to see any or all of the following:
- Medical documents, including bills, diagnoses, and test results.
- Pictures you or someone else took of anything from the scene of the accident.
- Written statements of anyone who witnessed anything at the scene.
Making Your Decision
1. Follow-Up with Your Best Candidates.
Once you have sat down with all of your top candidates, think about how each consultation went and decide if you need to follow-up on anything. If you do, call them back and ask your follow-up questions.
2. Feel Comfortable with The Candidate.
You are going to be spending a good amount of time with your attorney, so make sure it will be a rewarding experience. The ideal candidate will make you feel comfortable, will be available to answer any questions you may have, will have outstanding credentials, and will have a positive outlook about your case. At Biesterveld & Crook, LLC, we pride ourselves in giving our clients a listening ear, a positive approach to their case, and the respect their case deserves.
3. Hire Your Top Choice.
Once you have done all of the above and thought about your options, hire the personal injury lawyer you think will best represent you. Once you contact the attorney you want to hire, make sure you receive and sign a written fee agreement. This agreement will spell out exactly what the lawyer will be doing for you and how much he or she is going to charge for those services. Read over it carefully before signing it.
Do you have questions about choosing a personal injury attorney? Contact us online or call today at our office in Overland Park, Kansas to speak to an experienced personal injury attorney. We serve clients in the Kansas City metro area, including Kansas City, Olathe, and Shawnee. Remember, you don't have to go through a personal injury claim alone.